Philadelphia Flyers at New Jersey Devils
4-3 Devils (OT), Devils lead the series 2-1
Goals: Brayden Schenn (Philadelphia), Patrik Elias and Ilya Kovalchuk (New Jersey), Matt Carle (Philadelphia), Zach Parise (New Jersey), Danny Briere (Philadelphia), in overtime Alexei Ponikarovsky (New Jersey)
Goalies: Ilya Bryzgalov (27/31, .871); Martin Brodeur (25/28, .893)
- Brayden Schenn tricked Martin Brodeur to sneak in the puck and make it 1-0 Flyers.
- The Devils didn’t like that, so Patrik Elias scored a power play goal on Ilya Bryzgalov thatwent right through him and tied the game. Twenty seconds later, a miraculously healed Ilya Kovalchuk scored with a shot that went past Bryz glove side to make it 2-1 Devils. That was some bad defense by the Flyers.
- Then the Devils sat back and didn’t put pressure on the Flyers – Claude Giroux distracted Brodeur and allowed Matt Carle to get the puck past him and tie it 2-2.
- Lots of puck cycling and blocked shots during most of the second and third periods, and then Zach Parise scored through the five hole to give the Devils the lead in the third.
- Is Danny Briere a clutch guy? Well, he did get the rebound off Brodeur to tie it 3-3 after Bryz made a save off Kovy at the other end.
- Going to overtime? Sure, since we didn’t get enough after that Rangers-Capitals game!
- Alexei Ponikorvsky got the rebound off Bryz for the win.
- Here’s Devils backup goalie Johan Hedberg juggling pucks:
at New Jersey Devils
NBC Sports Network
That also happens to be Marty Brodeur’s 40th birthday. Will the Devils give him a win for a present?