New Jersey Devils at Philadelphia Flyers
4-3 Flyers (OT), Flyers lead the series 1-0
Goals: Zach Parise (New Jersey), Danny Briere and James van Riemsdyk (Philadelphia), Travis Zajac (New Jersey), Claude Giroux (Philadelphia), Petr Sykora (New Jersey), in overtime Danny Briere (Philadelphia)
Goalies: Ilya Bryzgalov (23/26, .885); Martin Brodeur (32/36, .889)
– The Flyers had the week off after dispatching the Pittsburgh Penguins the week before and looked a bit rusty in the initial minutes of the first period, especially after Zach Parise employed the forecheck and snuck the puck on Ilya Bryzgalov‘s short side to score first.
– Martin Brodeur made a giant glove save off Max Talbot, which really had ol’ Max frustrated.
– The Flyers found their mojo after that wakeup call, with Danny Briere tying the game on a breakaway and James van Riemsdyk tipping in a rebound off Brodeur.
– Travis Zajac got a power play goal (what are those) with the puck barely trickling in over the goal line to tie it 2-2.
– Claude Giroux said “Oh yeah? Take this!” and slammed one short side behind Brodeur to make it 3-2 Flyers. Petr Sykora decided to sneak a shot through Bryz’s five hole and tied the game AGAIN.
– Brodeur blocked a shot, got bowled over by Peter Harrold and lost his mask while Harrold managed to keep the puck out.
– Actual note I made: “LOL overtime, what’s a regulation game?”
– In overtime Briere sent a wrister from the blue line through traffic to win the game. This was after he almost won the game with a goal that was waived off.
at Philadelphia Flyers
NBC Sports Network
With Kovalchuk out of the game, what will the Devils do?