New Jersey Devils at Philadelphia Flyers
3-1 Devils, Devils win the series 4-1
Goals: Max Talbot (Philadelphia), Bryce Salvador, David Clarkson and Ilya Kovalchuk (New Jersey)
Goalies: Ila Bryzgalov (27/30, .900); Martin Brodeur (27/28, .964)
– Claude Giroux sat out the game due to his suspension for his hit on Dainius Zubrus.
– Zach Rinaldo gave a blistering hit to Anton Volchenkov after Volchenkov gave one to Brayden Schenn.
– Max Talbot shoved the puck in behind Martin Brodeur to make it 1-0 Flyers.
– Bryce Salvador got the long pass from Adam Henrique and shot it past Wayne Simmonds and Ilya Bryzgalov to tie the game.
– David Clarkson got the puck past Bryz after Bryz tried to be fancy when he cleared the puck. Oopsies!
– The Devils did very well on the penalty kill in this game and the series. They also did a lot to put pressure on the Flyers with their defense.
– At one point Brodeur almost got caught out of the net, but luckily the puck hit the goalpost.
– Brodeur baited Eric Wellwood by leaving glove side open, then snatched the puck with said glove.
– The Flyers just sputtered in the third period.
– Ilya Kovalchuk scored on the power play with a blast through traffic to make it 3-1 Devils. After that, the Flyers knew they’d been beaten and kinda played like it.
– Oh, and this happened:
The only thing I can say about the Flyers is that they battled through a lot – the loss of Chris Pronger due to a concussion, the rash of concussions that came after that, Bryz’s inconsistency in net. After those last games with Pittsburgh in the regular season, they got cocky, and making the playoffs made them arrogant. They beat the Pens but couldn’t be bested by simple hockey.
For the Devils, they’ll have to sit back and wait for the Caps and Rangers to sort it out in their series. Will it be a NY/NJ rivalry final? Will it be Brick City against the nation’s capital? We shall see.