New Jersey Devils at New York Rangers
3-0 Rangers, Rangers lead the series 1-0
Goals: Dan Girardi, Chris Kreider and Artem Anisimov
Goalies: Martin Brodeur (25/27, .926, Henrik Lundqvist (21/21, 1.000)
– To me, this game read more like a goalie match than a true offense/defense match.
– Henrik Lundqvist made some beautiful and very frustating saves, including two big ones (one of them on a breakaway) on Ilya Kovalchuk. Martin Brodeur also made some big saves, especially on Michael Del Zotto and Marc Staal.
– Kovy made a hell of a shot, but Derek Stepan blocked it and promptly limped to the bench.
– Patrick Elias got hit in the face and probably has a fractured nose. All together now: OWWWW.
– The Devils had great forechecking and kept the puck at the boards, which is called cycling, ya nimrod announcers.
– The Rangers blocked shots like it’s no big deal (26 total).
– Dan Girardi got the puck from Chris Kreider and shot it through the screen to put the Rangers on the board.
– Kreider took the pass from Artem Anisimov and got the shot on Brodeur’s glove side to make it 2-0 Rangers.
– Then Anisimov got the feed from Brian Boyle, sank the ENG and made it 3-0. It was clear that King Henrik had stymied the Devils.
– And then NHL Network, uh, made a mistake on their chyron (rated R for swearing).
at New York Rangers
NBC Sports Network
The Devils better find a way to decode Lundqvist, or they’ll be down 2-0.