New Jersey Devils at New York Rangers
3-1 Devils, series tied 1-1
Goals: Ilya Kovalchuck (New Jersey), Marc Staal and Chris Kreider (New York), Ryan Carter and David Clarkson (New Jersey)
Goalies: Martin Brodeur (23/25, .920); Henrik Lundqvist (24/27, .889)
– How about we start with three shots in a row for the Devils that didn’t go through.
– The Rangers were getting physical, and it seemed as though both teams were stifling each other on shots.
– Ryan McDonagh tried for the wraparound, but Martin Brodeur was too smart for that and got the save.
– Nice power play goal from Ilya Kovalchuk, who knocked it over Henrik Lundqvist‘s shoulder high glove side to make it 1-0 Devils. After the goal former Thrasher Zach Bogosian praised Kovy via Twitter, and I wept into my Tater Tots.
– Marc Staal tied it on the rebound as it bounced off Brodeur’s pad (it was originally credited to Derek Stepan). Yes, Marty Brodeur got an own goal:
– Brodeur then denied Carl Hagelin a goal and stopped Chris Kreider on a 2 on 1. Those were two of a number of saves he made, like this one:
– Right after Marty stopped the 2 on 1 from Rangers, Hank stopped Kovy in the same way.
– Actual notes I made: “OMG THE PENALTY BOX DOOR I CAN’T”:
– Kreider screened Brodeur on the PP as Anton Stralman rifled through the screen to give the Rangers a 2-1 lead. Then the goal was credited to Kreider from Stralman and Artem Anisimov.
– A nice little deflection by Ryan Carter off the one timer by Bryce Salvador tied the game.
– David Clarkson parked his butt at the front of the net and deflected the puck very nicely under Hank’s blocker for the GWG.
– Michael Del Zotto broke a TV camera:
at New Jersey Devils
It’s a matinee game in Jersey this time. Will the Devils take the upper hand at home, or will the Rangers embarrass them?