New Jersey Devils at New York Rangers
5-3 Devils, Devils lead the series 3-2
Goals: Stephen Gionta, Patrik Elias and Travis Zajac (New Jersey), Brandon Prust, Ryan Callahan and Marian Gaborik (New York), Ryan Carter and Zach Parise – ENG (New Jersey)
Goalies: Martin Brodeur (25/28, .893); Henrik Lundqvist (12/16, .750)
– The Devils scored three times in the first ten minutes of the game:
- Stephen Gionta backhanded his own rebound past Henrik Lundqvist
- Patrik Elias got the redirect from Adam Henrique (and Artem Anisimov got an own goal)
- Travis Zajac scored with a shot far stick side from the top of the right circle
– By this point, John Tortorella was probably plotting people’s deaths.
– Brandon Prust couldn’t be stopped by Marek Zidlicky or Bryce Salvador and slipped the backhand past Martin Brodeur to make it 3-1 Devils.
– Ryan Callahan got the redirect off Anisimov right in front of Brodeur. For a second it looked like a kick, but it bounced off his leg.
– Oops, a nice ping off the post triggered premature goal lights!
– Prust was penalized for unsportsmanlike conduct after an Oscar-worthy dive, and I laughed till it hurt.
– I can only describe Marian Gaborik‘s tying Rangers goal thusly: Brodeur accidentally the puck IS THAT BAD? (this is why the Brodeur Rule exists)
– So. Many. Broken sticks. Reminds me of Jack Edwards’ words of wisdom:
– Just as I had yelled at the Devils to bring back the forecheck, Ilya Kovalchuk did so. Ryan Carter took the pass from Gionta and broke the tie.
– Zach Parise scored his second empty netter in as many games. He would later call the game the Devils’ worst performance in the playoffs.
– Tortorella’s presser didn’t last as long as last time – only a minute and a half. I’m fairly certain someone’s giving him drugs that make him actually interact with the press.
at New Jersey Devils
NBC Sports Network
The Devils could wrap up the series at home. Tune in to see if they do!