New York Rangers at New Jersey Devils
3-2 Devils (OT), Devils win the series 4-2
Goals: Ryan Carter and Ilya Kovalchuk (New Jersey), Ruslan Fedotenko and Ryan Callahan (New York), in overtime Adam Henrique (New Jersey)
Goalies: Martin Brodeur (33/35, .943); Henrik Lundqvist (26/29, .897)
– There was a lot of cycling by the Devils at first, which was very frustrating for the Rangers as usual, but Henrik Lundqvist was very strong in net.
– The Devils scored first with a goal that started as a shot from Steve Bernier to Stephen Gionta, with Ryan Carter getting the rebound.
– On the power play Ilya Kovalchuk sank a slap shot past Hank beautifully to make it 2-0 Devils:
– Although the Devils were really taking the fast game to the Rangers, Ryan McDonagh carried the puck behind the net and fed it to Ruslan Fedotenko in front to get the Rangers on the board.
– Dan Girardi sent the puck right through traffic, where it deflected off of Ryan Callahan to tie the game.
– Ryan Carter took a dumb penalty when he shoved Marc Staal into the net and played the “what’d I do” card (my exact words on Twitter were “Carter pls”).
– Martin Brodeur made some wicked incredible saves, like when he stacked the pads against Brad Richards:
– Then he pokechecked Artem Anisimov on the breakaway:
– LOL OVERTIME
– Adam Henrique shoveled in the rebound on the scramble after Kovalchuk and Alexei Ponikarovsky tried to do the same. And that was the game and the series.
For the Devils, it’s the Stanley Cup Finals against the Los Angeles Kings. That starts on May 30 – we’ll post the complete schedule shortly.
For the Rangers, it was a deep run to be sure, and they had some tough battles with the Senators, Capitals and Devils. They can be proud of the fact that they sat atop the Eastern Conference and boast a Vezina finalist who is arguably one of the best goalies in recent history. Hopefully they can learn from the mistakes they made in the playoffs and come back for another shot at the Cup.
And after all that’s happened in this series, we get this picture: